|The Facts About Uninsurance in Hawaii
University of Hawaii’s Social Science Research Institute is working in partnership with The Hawai`i Uninsured Project to develop a research-based knowledge of Hawaii’s uninsured.The results of hundreds of interviews with the uninsured and providers, as well as comprehensive analysis of existing private and public data is available.
University of Hawaii Social Science Research Institute’s work:
- characterizes the uninsured
- examines costs and benefits of various models for coverage
- identifies barriers to care
- assess impact of lack of insurance on the uninsured and the community
Hawaii Health Information Corporation supports the research efforts with identification, acquisition and analysis of existing data.
- Hawaii Health Survey
- Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System
- Hospital Discharge and Emergency Department Data
- U.S. Census Bureau Current Population Survey
- Medical Expenditure Panel Survey
- Private Health Plan Data
In order to best understand the issues, concerns and viewpoints of the working but uninsured, Ward Research conducted a market study in 2003 that includes small to large employers, sole proprietors, the self-employed and part-time workers, as well as the general public. the results are posted on this page.